Become part of a Migrant and Community Health Center, where you will have:
- A passionate purpose
- Do worthwhile work
- Make a difference in people’s lives
InterCare is searching for an Outreach Nurse (RN) to join our team for the summer!
The Outreach Nurse performs nursing assessments and screenings of migrant farm worker patients in their home camp environment. Educates patients on preventive health care, environmental exposure to pesticides, immunizations, and prenatal care of pregnant women.
At InterCare Community Health Network, we believe all people have the right to equal access to quality health care.
Hours are 4 PM to 10 PM, Monday through Thursday
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Provides nursing assessments according to outreach nursing guidelines.
- Performs basic procedures at migrant farm worker camps. (Glucose, Blood pressure).
- Informs patient of results immediately after screening.
- Refers to InterCare clinics for medical treatment if necessary and accurately documents encounters.
- Completes follow-up requests from health provider on a timely basis.
- Communicates frequently with clinic, serving as triage support.
2) Educates patients on the importance of preventive health care, environmental exposure to pesticides, immunization status, and prenatal care status of pregnant women.
- Councils patients on usage of medical equipment. (Glucose meter)
- Educates migrant community to adopt healthy behaviors.
- Distributes health brochures, or other health education information to targeted community.
- Participates in special events such as community health fairs and special clinic events.
1) BCLS certification.
2) Ability to work effectively as a team.
3) Ability to organize and manage time to maximize outreach efforts.
4) Attends Migrant Resource Council meetings in assigned service area.
Professional and Technical Knowledge
1) Possesses a thorough understanding of theory and practices of community nursing, typically acquired through completion of a licensed practical nursing or registered nursing degree program.
2) Maintains a registered nurse license for the state of Michigan.
1) Ability to enter outreach data into Excel data logs.
2) Ability to use clerical and numerical skills in completing outreach forms and nursing assessments.
1) Possesses a professional level of written and verbal communication skills.
2) Ability to communicate complex concept in a clear effective manner.
3) Possesses excellent cross cultural communication skills and the ability to communicate to staff members at all levels.
Job duties performed during irregular evening hours outside of the typical office environment. The environmental factors and/or physical requirements of this position include the following:
1) In-home and warm weather outdoor work with occasional in-office work.
2) Extensive travel using reliable personal vehicle.
3) Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, frequently sit, and lift up to 25 lbs.
4) Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations.
5) Requires good hand-eye coordination, reach with arms & hands, and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and manipulate (using keyboard, office equipment).
6) Visual acuity to use keyboard, operate office equipment, and read printed material and regularly required to talk and hear.
InterCare Community Health Network is a not-for-profit organization headquartered in Bangor, Michigan. We employ 400 medical and dental health professionals and support personnel at multiple locations. InterCare is a federally qualified health center dedicated to improving individual health and reducing health issues in communities that we serve. We pursue our vision through the delivery of a broad range of primary care services and by promoting open access for all. InterCare's main focus is on disease prevention, wellness, and regular and timely treatment of chronic conditions. We pride ourselves on excellent communications with our patients, and on a strong health education focus that helps our patients and their families become involved in their own health care.