Become part of a Migrant and Community Health Center, where you will have:
- A passionate purpose
- Do worthwhile work
- Make a difference in people’s lives
InterCare is searching for a Referral Specialist to join our team!
The Referral Specialist is responsible for processing, tracking, and closing out a high volume of outgoing referrals to specialty provider offices.
At InterCare Community Health Network, we believe all people have the right to equal access to quality health care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Processes assigned clinic referrals to specialty providers
- Runs daily open referral worklist and reviews all newly ordered and open referrals.
- Prioritizes routine vs. high priority referral requests.
- Verifies patient insurance and determines what type of specialist patient is being referred to. Consults with clinical staff as needed.
- Obtains any needed insurance prior authorizations.
- If able to schedule directly, schedules referral appointment with specialist office and communicates appointment time, instructions and other relevant appointment details back to patient.
- Follows up on all appointments to be scheduled directly by specialist office.
- Completes continuity of care document and protected health information log when required.
- Generates and e-faxes referral document and supporting information.
- Completes previous day’s referral requests and continuously tracks all open requests.
2) Tracks, follows-up and closes out all outstanding referral requests.
- Monitors all open referrals to assure continuity of care.
- Closes out referral order in system upon receipt of specialist report.
- Cancels referral orders in the system for no-show patients and notifies InterCare provider that patient did not keep their appointment.
- Follows up with specialist’s office to obtain all needed information.
- Notifies patient and provider of rescheduled specialty appointments.
- Documents all communication with patient.
- Provides timely notification to Site Manager when behind on completing work or when there are a large number of open referrals.
1) Requires strong customer service skills, conscientiousness, attention to detail, and multi-tasking ability.
2) Able to deal effectively with a variety of people while developing strong professional work relationships.
3) Works as part of a team and assists the team in meeting productivity and quality goals.
4) Skill in motivation, self-direction and punctuality.
5) Able to adjust to changing circumstances
Professional and Technical Knowledge
1) Possesses an understanding of primary care office theory and practices typically acquired through a technical training program and/or extensive practical experience in a medical practice environment.
1) Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
2) Proficient in electronic health records systems.
3) Ability to use clerical and numerical skills to perform job duties.
4) Ability to generate letters, forms, and documents.
5) Ability to perform data entry, run reports, and operate common office equipment.
1) Excellent written and verbal communication skills
2) Ability to communicate in a clear effective manner
3) Possesses cross cultural communication skills and the ability to communicate with patients and staff members at all levels
Job duties are performed in the typical medical office environment of the organization. The environmental factors and/or physical requirements of this position include the following:
1) Ability to maneuver in clinic environment and frequently sit to work at computer.
2) Requires good hand-eye coordination, reach with arms & hands, and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and manipulate (using keyboard, office equipment).
3) Visual acuity to use keyboard, operate office equipment, and read printed material and regularly required to talk and hear.